Recent comments

Local Photographer Harassed by Police, Threatened with Arrest   8 years 17 weeks ago

Too bad the Denver Police don't put the same effort into enforcing the traffic laws in that vicinity that they put into safeguarding the "right" of a private company to photograph a fancy car on Broadway. I've witnessed a pedestrian fatally run over at 19th and Lincoln. Some crazy guy in a red porsche making a left turn from Lincoln at high speed came within a couple of inches of running over my toes while I was attempting to cross at 18th (with the ped signal in my favor). The cars in that area are completely out of control but the DPD apparently has more important things to do.

How did he "interfere with the professional photo shoot?"  If he was using a flash, or getting in the pictures, sure.  How is taking a picture from a public place interfering?

While you may be a professional photographer, you're not a lawyer, so your comments on suing are forgivably incorrect.  Try getting a lawyer to take that case (other than on retainer, we'll take money for anything you know), and you'll be laughed out of the office.

"Being the next guy to wander by and snap a couple of pictures is never fun after these confrontations."

Is an argument the government would use to quelch dissent.

What Frequencies You'll Want to Watch During the DNC: Secret Service and DPD   8 years 17 weeks ago

As for disclosing, I thought the legal boundary was that you can copy to others what you can legally hear, except where doing so would be infringing on copyright (ie copying VHF tv stations) or abetting a crime (ie telling your neighbor, who is cutting 500 kilos of coke in his basement that the cops are coming).

Being the next guy to wander by and snap a couple of pictures is never fun after these confrontations. Even if it's worth it for you to "make an issue," remember somebody else might walk by after you tease the dog.

Here's a couple of additional tips. Local laws may limit your use of a scanner, especially while mobile. There are somewhat unrelated reasons for this. I haven't heard of it in Colorado.

While listening may not be illegal, disclosing to others and/or acting on the information you hear is often a violation of various privacy acts, etc.

Also, Denver Police and many other agencies use "trunked" systems which hop frequencies frequently based on a control channel, much like cell phones do. You can easily get scanners which handle this, but you need at least some of the frequencies and the control channel to follow what's going on.

PSL on the ballot in Arkansas, Vermont & Colorado!   8 years 17 weeks ago

Until the "paid for" line I didn't know who PSL was!

The Underground Carrot spreads its roots   8 years 17 weeks ago

sandwich nazis

David I too am a professioal photograper as well as having police experance.  It would be very good for the profession if you would file a complaint to the Police Department and the Civilian Review Board. This bully cop thing gets out of hand and if we the people control or at least assert the right of control over our civil servants there will be much less chance of violance from the cop next time. If she is left unchallanged she will get more badge heavy to the next photographer. Some bullys must be faced down for public safety.

Cordley Coit, Rocky Mountain Media Collective

In Response To Anonymous:

Funny that you criticize me for trying to remain anonymous when you do the same. I keep my name out of the article because it's not needed and activists tend to get harassed, brutalized, etc. by cops -- especially those who criticize cops. I use Ringo Kamens as a peusdonym as one level of protection against this kind of activity. If there's any real reason I need to provide my full legal name, I will but you haven't provided one. Furthermore, Police are public officers and as such they are required by law to give me their information. As you'll recall from the report, the officers violated the law by refusing me that information. There are grounds for a suit against the DPD here, but I'm not going to do it simply because I have bigger fish to fry. And there's no ground to sue: "interference" is a risk you take when doing photography in public places. I was well within the law and my rights to take pictures from public property. What seems absurd to me is that they could cut off a street for a corporate shoot! I paid for that street with my taxes, the least I should be able to do is use it. And I was not interfering with the shoot or trying to get in the pictures, I was simply trying to take pictures of what was going on. Let me know where you're doing a photo shoot so I can come take pictures of it and then we can try out your legal strategy. I'll even make it easy for you and represent myself!

In Response to my new friend Brenden:
I appreciate you backing me up, nice to hear some encouraging words from another photographer who cares about our rights.

Comrade Ringo Kamens

You don't have the balls to sign your name after your comment, after you try to tell him the same.  And me, as a professional photographer, who charges $1,000 an hour and probably does a much better job than you, would at least be kind enough to nicely ask for the person to leave.  This photographer is standing up for his rights.  He, in fact, did not interfere with their shoot.  If they had just let him take the pictures, then he would have continued on his jolly way and no interference would have been involved.  They obviously made it much harder than it had to be, and due to the fact that they harassed him, he could have sued them as well.  Sorry "Anonymous", but your points have no relevance.

Brenden Gebhart

You don't have the balls to sign your name under your story, after you name the officers involved, and you were there to interfere with the professional photo shoot. As a professional photographer, who does street photography, who has to put up with people like yourself who delibertly try to get in my shots, I would have requested your name and contact information so I could sue you for interfering with my photo shoot. I charge $1,500.00/ hour, plus expences which could have come up to 20K for them, easily!

Hope in a Time of Elections: Movement Building at the Summer Conventions   8 years 17 weeks ago

I really agree with this critique that we should be focusing on more "positive" things, especially in our propaganda. Most people don't seem to understand that in order for a new society to be build, we must liberate ourselves from the old and since the powerstructure won't let us go without force, we must destroy. So let's appeal to the parts they do understand: "hope" and "change". Really though, I agree even though that sounded a little satirical.

Party Conventions being Funded by Major Corporations   8 years 17 weeks ago

Another open secret is confirmed...

Durango May Day Rally & Festival!   8 years 25 weeks ago

We are looking for radical/revolutionary/anarchist literature etc. to distrubute at our event and to have on a table at the Really Really Free Market. If you can help us out with any free literature or flyers to promote other anarchist groups and events, contact us at durangomayday(at)

FYI Colorado Thought Crime Statutes ban Anarchism   8 years 31 weeks ago

Must be a Ludlow/Columbine mine holdover

Justice for Emily Rae Rice March & Rally Sunday, 1PM- Denver CopWatch   8 years 31 weeks ago

Now maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like those deputies have committed manslaughter at the very least, and if they did use any force that should be considered murder. Forget asking for their termination we should be calling for their arrest? Where are the criminal charges? I mean I realize an officer's job is tough, but there is absolutely no excuse for this! Police and other "authorities should be punished FAR more severely than the average Joe. When they are granted all that power they need to be held accountable not only as a normal citizen, but they need to be held responsible for their use/misuse of the powers we grant them. When you join the force and they give you Kevlar, a truncheon, a badge (authority), cuffs, zip-ties for when you run out of cuffs, a taser, mace/pepper spray, a handgun, a shotgun, sometimes even an assault rifle, extra ammunition, sometimes tear gas, a suped-up car, hand-to-hand combat training, and a radio to call for back-up, you can't act surprised when bad things go down and you can't complain about how rough it is either. Oh, and I forgot, some cops get dogs capable of tearing you to shreds in mere seconds too.

Reminder: Anti-War Rally, West Steps, State Capitol, Sunday, March 16, 1:30 PM   8 years 32 weeks ago

Stop that bullshit protesting and actually do something. Go inside that capitol and tear shit up!!!

ILWU to Shut Down West Coast Ports May 1 Demanding End to War in Iraq, Afghanistan   8 years 33 weeks ago

These port workers should connect with Port Militarization Resistance and the (non-existent) Port Liberation Front...

Slavery In America: 90 Cents an Hour and 20 F Below Zero   8 years 35 weeks ago

Im disappointed that this story was left in the wire rather than being mainpaged, its certainly more news worthy then a movie announcement. Not that the Immokalee struggle is unimportant, its just a strange editorial decision.

anti-Republican Nation Convention Activists banned from Canada   8 years 36 weeks ago

The strange thought is that they think that they can keep Canadians from hearing what these people have to say by stopping them at the border. In the age of telecommunications and the internet, that's a very strange thought indeed. Spread the word!

Impeach Cheney now   8 years 41 weeks ago

Rep. Wexler now has over 185,000 signatures on his letter-petition to House Judiciary Chairman Conyers asking for immediate Impeachment Hearings.

On Jan 16 we are asking all pro-Impeachment activists to Call the members of the Judiciary Committee and push Impeachment.

That date is the day Wexler will present his petition to the Committee.

For more information SEE:

The Colorado Impeach Coalition's
new website(up late on Friday 01/11/08

Holiday Greetings from Recreate-68   8 years 44 weeks ago

That was an awesome poem. Major props.

Ron Paul and the Employer/Employee Relationship   8 years 44 weeks ago

I see the point you make with all the information in the article. Ron Paul addresses employer/employee relationships in a way far different than any other politician. However, there is some importance with this when looking at Ron Paul more broadly. Ron Paul has a very firm stance on Illegal Immigration. Illegal immigration is a major problem of out country right now. Illegal immigrants are taken jobs at pay below minimum wage everyday. Essentially taking the jobs of legal citizens. It is partly the minimum wage that enables this.
Furthermore, Ron Paul is the only candidate not funded by the corporations. He is fighting for what is right in his gut rather than in his pocketbook.
In general Ron Paul is the only candidate that is full of independent political ideas. His thought ignores the false reality that America has succumb too. In my opinion he is the starting point to redefining our country where we want it to be.

This link is a good interview with Ron from August this year.